The PGA-02 Gates is a Backup weapon introduced in the 18.2.0 update.
It is a red pistol with a portal-like structure at the tip of the barrel. It has decent fire rate, decent damage and above-average mobility.
PGA-02 appears to be a weapon-like object of supposedly demonic origin. It is composed of an overall red, orange, and dark gray body with a floating teardrop-shaped stone floating above said body. What appears to be runic symbols are inscribed throughout this object. In the front, there is a glowing, orange eye surrounded by two floating parts, with demonic energy flowing throughout them.
When the trigger is pulled on this weapon, the two floating parts near the glowing eye begin to slowly hover closer to the eye as the teardrop-shaped stone floats upward slightly. The weapon also begins to vibrate slightly while it charges. Once fully charged and when the trigger is released, a crimson ball of demonic energy with a black, smoky trail is discharged from the front of the object. It will manifest a portal that will linger for a period of time. If another portal is created, the holder of this weapon will be able to teleport between the two by walking into them.
Once the weapon has run out of demonic energy, the teardrop-shaped stone must be inserted back into the top part of the weapon, and it will come back out of the weapon once reloaded.
It has Fixed Delay. This means that once the player switches from any weapon to this weapon, the PGA-02 Gates will always have a pull-up delay lasting around half of a second.
- This weapon can be used as a utility weapon for traveling distances and around the map. However, it is effective as an offensive weapon as well.
- This is especially useful when trying to infiltrate the enemy team's position by creating a portal near their position.
- One can use this in Capture game modes as means of escaping or quick traveling.
- This weapon can 1 shot a player if it is upgraded to maximum efficiency, charged fully, and certain modules are placed in it. Commonly however, this weapon cannot one-shot. However, the quick charge up time makes up for the damage.
- Use this in close to medium range for a less complicated duel and also due to its bullet travel time.
- Not every fully-charged shot will produce a portal.
- You can hit the ground spot that is near your opponent because this has area damage.
- Go for the weakened players for better ammunition conserving and quicker kill registering.
- It can be difficult to look around while keeping a charged shot, so only charge this weapon if you are in an area with many enemies.
- When making portals, try to fire the first portal in a safe location away from enemies.
- It should be noted that only the user can use the portals, meaning that enemies and other teammates cannot use them.
- The portals are two-way, meaning that either portal will teleport the user to the other.
- If a user charges up the weapon dies, the attack will still activate upon death, this is useful for going in suicide runs towards enemies, as it is possible to kill an enemy post-death if caught in the blast radius.
- Use the portal in emergencies, although the portal creation time can be slow.
- Immediately switch to any other weapon (except the Vertical Grip Device, the Pulling Sucker Gun, and the Fatality Hook) before capturing the flag in Flag Capture.
- Avoid using this in Raids as the attribute is disabled, decreasing the value of the weapon.
- Pick off the user at long range.
- Strafe while jumping to minimize the damage from the weapon.
- Flank around the user then use a melee weapon to deal quick damage and then pull back. However, you can do so if you are able to flank its users.
- Strategize your teammates about being in front of the user's portals, so he will be lured to teleport, only to be damaged by you and your teammates if done correctly.
- Try attacking the user with a high fire rate weapon while they are charging for the shot.
- Avoid getting hit at all costs, as it can severely cripple your health/armor.
- You cannot enter its users' portals, so try to estimate their initial and final destination of portals they make.
- Do not try to shoot towards the portals, since bullets cannot pass through it.
- This weapon's projectiles will be released if its user is killed while he/she is charging.
- Be wary of the current users on the map, keep an eye out on where the portals are and where he/she is aiming at.
- One can utilize the portals against the user using weapons such as the Demoman or the Watchy-Snipy on the portal, so the mines will damage the player once the portal is used.
Equip a reliable primary and sniper to be able to sabotage enemies after summoning portals with this weapon.
- Initial release.
- Returned in the Trader's van for . Cost depends on player's level.
- This is the second weapon to have the attribute after the Portal Cannon.
- It is also the first backup weapon to have the attribute.
- The eye located in the front of the gun looks very similar to the Fire Orb.
- It is a reference to the Eye of Sauron from the Lord of the Rings.